It's a woman's worst nightmare. You've finally found the man of your dreams, gone through the frustration of planning a wedding and then you realize all of the bridal showers and celebrations have caused you to put on weight.
Your big day is fast approaching and you're terrified that you won't fit into that dream wedding gown you've bought. Follow this simple approach to help you meet your goal and ease your wedding day anxiety.
Hydration is critical. While the benefits are countless, this is one of the hardest things to implement into your daily routine. Water lowers body fat, flushes cellulite, improves digestion, gets rid of dark circles under the eyes, and makes you feel full. These are just a few of the benefits of drinking the required 2.5 liters/quarts of water per day. Break the amounts down into manageable amounts:
- Keep a bottle of water beside your bed. Before you go to sleep drink 1/2 the bottle (Note: this will most likely increase the need to urinate during the night) and as soon as you wake up (before your feet touch the floor) drink the remaining 1/2 bottle.
- Before each meal drink a half a bottle of water.
- Carry water with you and sip it throughout the day.
Start with a 10 minute walk; you can always increase later after it becomes routine. It's enough to gently boost your metabolism and keep you active. To lose weight you want to shoot for 45 minute to an hour of easy exercising such as walking.
Eat 6 meals a day. Don’t panic, it’s easier than it sounds. Every 3-4 hours from the time you wake up, eat a little something. Your digestive system is far more efficient at handling a series of small meals than it is at tackling one large meal. For example, you could eat at 7am, 10 am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 10 pm. Limit your mini meals to 250-300 calories per meal.
Limit the size of your meal portions (meat, veggies, carbs) to no larger and no thicker than the palm of your hand.
Include a protein, a carbohydrate and a vegetable or fruit in each meal. Here is a sample daily meal plan to get you started:
- Meal one: Protein shake with 1% milk (whey protein drinks are also good)
- Meal two: Half an apple and cottage cheese or yogurt
- Meal three: Piece of chicken (no skin) and a small salad
- Meal four: Cheese and the balance of the apple
- Meal five: Piece of lean meat, rice or potatoes, vegetables
- Meal six: Low fat chocolate pudding mixed with protein powder
Choose one day a week as your reward day and eat whatever you want and as much as you want. Whether you like pasta, cookies, ice cream, or chocolate. Don’t worry, you won’t gain fat if you do this because for the past six days your body has been used to eating "clean" food. On the seventh day your body thinks you are going to do the same and when you don't, it gets fooled and eliminates the effects of the "junk" food. In essence, you are tricking your body on your reward day but you must eat cleanly on the following day.